Friday, September 5, 2014

Is it Fall Yet?

Given that the high today is going to be 90 degrees, I don't think so.

I feel like I'm just starting to emerge from the bubble of summer, where I was very quiet a lot of the time. The person I saw most, outside of my family members, was my friend, Sarah, who took Will to the pool with her kids approximately 3,000 times. Blessings upon her head. But Sarah and I mostly saw each other picking up or dropping off children, and though our chats were always fun, they were mostly brief.

So I was quiet a lot this summer. I read a book called A Book of Silence by Sara Maitlin, and it took me most of the summer to read it, but I liked it and understood the author's desire for staying away from words. It made me turn off the radio more often and just work in my kitchen in silence. I read another book called The Old Ways by Robert McFarlane, about old roads and pathways, mostly in the UK. It also took a long time to read, mostly because though it was beautiful, it didn't have a lot of people in it to carry you along on the backs of their stories. I am a walker, and The Old Ways is a book about walking, which for me is a quiet activity, as I mostly walk by myself.

Last night I saw my friend Tracy. She is one of my lunch friends. During the school year, I do most  of my socializing at lunch, and Tracy and I have lunch every few months. She works at home, too, and admitted last night that she's having a hard time re-entering the stream of school and practices and games and assemblies. It's like, once you commit to being in the thick of things again, there's no stepping back onto the shore. Well, that's not true, but that's how it feels, and for us introverts the very thought is exhausting.

Anyway, Tracy and I have seen each other several times the last two weeks since school began (Our Fine School starts in mid-August), and each time we say, Let's have lunch! But I don't think either of us have been ready for lunch. Finally, last night, we bit the bullet and settled on a date and time--next Wednesday at one o'clock. I have a speaking engagement next week, too, and my Bible study starts up again, so there you have it. And on Saturday my book group is having a pot luck. I will not be dipping a toe into the stream of life, I will be jumping into the deep pool. Well, it's about time, I guess. A summer of quiet is nice, but it does a body good to make some noise every once in awhile, too.

8 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Hi Frances! Oh, I bet you DO feel a little overwhelmed (underwhelmed?) at the thought of all the kid-busyness up ahead. I'm thinking a lot about reaching out and willing myself to be a good initiator. It pays off because I do enjoy long lazy talks with good souls.

Nancy McCarroll said...

After reading your post, it reminded me of what I have said to my husband lately regarding hosting dinners or getting together with people. That is, I've become "selectively social". Doing things on my own alleviates stress of small talk, just not good at that anymore.

Enjoy your fall and selective dates.

Leslie said...

I've missed you this summer, but I totally understand. I know the regular routine gets me doing things I need but jumping in is soooo hard and sometimes just plain rude. Your books sound very interesting to me and you made me wonder what you will be studying in your bible study.

Tracy said...

My greatest lament is the end of those seasons of quiet and diving back into life's busy flow. I think it's why I covet my Friday's off work so jealously. Yes I have a mountain of study that always requires my attention, but I crave the silence in the midst of the busy flow.

I'm glad you have been able to recharge and enjoy the quiet of the summer.

GretchenJoanna said...

Your books and walks must have made for a smidgin of that kind of experience that used to be called "taking the cure" by spending several months in solitude by a European lake. More than a mini-vacation, not really enough, but seemingly all we can hope for these days. May God multiply the effects so that you receive the blessing for months to come.

Jo said...

I love Gretchen Joanna's comment. I am still waiting for the day when a doctor tells me I need two months in the country, doing 'nothing at all'.
I am hoping your rest cure has done you a world of good.
I love to live in my head, and sometimes have to be dragged kicking and screaming back to sociability. My kind friends do as yours did, and make me come out for lunch. It's wonderful to have understanding friends:)

Gumbo Lily said...

I saw a cartoon-thing on Pinterest that said, "When you don't hear the phone ring, it's me." And that's really how I've been all summer. Just mindin' my own business for the most part. I hope you'll find a little time for silence and quiet walking amidst the busy-ness of your new schedule.

Everyday Life On A Shoestring said...

Both those books are on my must-read list. And I appreciate your thoughts about stepping on to the band wagon of a new term. However as well as the bandwagon I also love days of solitude on my days off when everyone else is at work and school and I really have to try not to feel resentful when friends drag me out for a coffee...I have to remind myself that it's good to have a balance.